* Genealogy of the Hassler Family *
(version May 6, 2017)
Please email corrections to Mike Clark

 

Hassler is a common family name in the southern Black Forest region of Germany, and it is also found in many German-speaking communities located just across the nearby French and Swiss borders. One branch of this family resides in the town of Donaueschingen, which is located in the southernmost part of the German State of Baden, and is so named because the town sits at the confluence of the two main tributaries of the Danube River (the location of the town is shown on the map at right). The birth, marriage and death records of several generations of Haesslers are preserved in the Catholic Church of Donaueschingen, and serve as the primary source for the early part of this family history.

 


The town of Donaueschingen in 1827

 

  1. Anton (Bernhard) Haessler was probably born somewhere in Baden, Germany in the late 1700s or early 1800s, and married Maria Anna Simon. The uncertainty over his exact name is due to the fact that the marriage record for his son Josef gives the name of Josef's father as Bernhard, whereas Josef's death record lists his father as Anton. Both records have the same birth date for Josef, and list his mother as Maria Anna Simon. The name Bernhard only appears in the one document, whereas many sources record the name of Anton Haessler, husband of Maria Anna Simon. Many girls in Donaueschingen in the early 1800s had the name Maria Anna Simon, so it is impossible to identify records for Anton's (Bernhard's) wife prior to their marriage. Also, there does not appear to be a baptismal record for Anton (Bernhard) in the town church, which indicates that he may have been born in another village. However, Anton (Bernhard) and Maria were residents of Donaueschingen by 1823, when their son Joseph was born.

  2. children - HAESSLER

    Joseph Haessler (1823-1866) who follows:

     

  3. Joseph Haessler (1823-1866), the son of Maria Anna Simon and Anton (Bernhard) Haessler, was born and christened in Donaueschingen, Baden on Feb. 10, 1823; and married Maria Anna Fink (1822-1886) on Oct. 13, 1853 in the Donaueschingen Catholic Church. Maria, who was born on April 28, 1822 in the nearby town of Fützen in the Waldshut district of Baden, was the daughter of Gallus Fink (b. 1774) and Elisabeth Wagner. Maria and Joseph had four children before Joseph died on March 24, 1866 in Donaueschingen, where he is probably buried in the church cemetery. His wife Mary subsequently decided to emigrate with her children to the United States, and her story continues below.

    Mary Hassler (1822-1886), the widow of Josef Haessler, decided after the death of her husband to seek her fortune in the United States, and she sailed with her four children around the the Cape of Good Hope in 1868 to arrive in California. It likely that her younger brother Charles (Gallus), who had been in California since 1849, and in the United States since 1848, brought her and the children with him back to the States following a visit he had made to see his birthplace in Germany after an absence of twenty years. She ended up in the Diamond Springs township, probably in or near Newtown, where Charles, another younger bother named John (Joannes), her mother Elisabeth Wagoner, and her stepfather Joseph Miller all lived, the four of them having arrived in 1849 on a wagon train. Her sister Paulina Snow was there in Newtown also having arrived in the spring of 1850 with her husband Samuel.

    Maria dropped the first "e" in her last name upon arriving in the States, and changed both hers and her children's first names to american versions. They settled in Diamond Springs, and Maria after a few years on Aug. 28, 1874 married a Swiss miner in Placerville named Felix Mulli, who had arrived there during the Gold Rush. Felix was evidently prosperous as in 1865 he had bought from the Marple brothers a plot of land known as the Johnson Ranch (SE/4, sec 27, T11N, R11E), a 160-acre homestead located six miles north of town and next door to the Toombs ranch in White Rock Canyon. Although Felix and Mary set up house there after their marriage, Mary appears to have kept her Diamond Springs place, probably so that her son Antone, who was working at the Caldor (California Door) factory in Diamond Springs, could continue to live close to his job.

    As a side note, the Johnson Ranch that Felix bought had originally owned by John Calhoun Johnson, who played a prominent role in the El Dorado Indian War of 1850-51, and was responsible for blazing a trail connecting Placerville with the Carson Valley in Nevada. This trail, known first as Johnson's Cut-off, later became the first State Wagon Road, and largely follows the route of modern Highway 50.

    Felix Mulli (c.1820-1879), the second husband of Mary Hassler, was born about 1820 in Switzerland and arrived in the United States on July 31, 1846 aboard the ship Susan Drew, which sailed from Le Havre, France. He appears in Pennsylvania in the U.S. census of 1850, and then apparently made his way to Sacramento, California where he married his first wife Magdelana Sieber (b. about 1816) on January 1, 1859. The 1870 census, which lists Felix and Magdalena with the last name of Maley, indicates they may have had a son named Henry Mulli, who would have been born around 1855. However, there is no further mention of him, which indicates he may have died, or left town for parts unknown. Magdalena died on Dec. 5, 1873 in Placerville, and is buried in the Placerville Union Cemetery.

    Felix died on May 24, 1879 in Placerville, and is buried in the Placerville Union Cemetery, his grave now marked by a broken tombstone. His second wife Mary Hassler inherited his property, the Johnson Ranch, but only after the inheritance issue was settled in the Placerville Superior Court on July 21, 1884. Felix' Mulli's will, the original of which is in the El Dorado County Museum, was written on the day of his death, signed by Felix with three X marks, indicating that he did not read nor write, and witnessed (and was possibly written) by William "Honest Billy" Toombs, who was related to Felix's widow Mary by marriage. When Felix's brothers Heinrich and Matthias in Switzerland (Zurich?) learned the details, they contested the will, disputing both the validity of the will and the legality of Felix's marriage to Mary Hassler. His widow Mary, in return, contested that Heinrich and Matthias were actually Felix's brothers. Ultimately, the court decided in Mary's favor - one suspects due to the involvement of "Honest Billy", who testified during the proceedings. Mary then sold the house to her son John (from her first marriage to Josef). However, legal issues regarding the property continued until at least 1915, before the title became free and clear.

    Mary died without leaving a will on November 10, 1886, probably at the Johnson/Mulli ranch, and was buried in the Placerville Union Cemetery, where her tombstone reads, "Mary Hassler | Mother of Antone, John, Mary and Joe". The children of Mary Hassler and her first husband Josef are listed below.

    • children - HAESSLER

    • Johann Evangelist Haessler (1854-1932) was born Nov. 29, 1854 and christened Dec. 11 that same year in Donaueschingen, Baden. He changed his name to John Hassler when he immigrated in 1868 to the United States. He married a neighbor girl, Florence May Adams (1868-1934), the daughter of Albert Adams and Louisa Pryde of the adjacent Adams Ranch (a portion of NW/4, sec 35, T11N, R11E), in Placerville on Jan. 17, 1888; and became a fruit grower, planting one of the first orchards in the county. He and Florence later inherited the Adams Ranch, along with its family cemetery, from Louisa. He became the first Horticultural Commissioner for El Dorado County, and served in that office from 1906 to 1913. His nephew, Harvey Spence of Danville, built a large home for John on Hassler Road in Placerville, in 1929 that replaced a house originally owned by his step-father Felix Mulli, and sold to him by his mother. Back then, Hassler Road ended at the house, but today the road continues on until reaches North Canyon Road. John died May 15, 1932 in Placerville, and Florence died Oct. 10, 1934 in Del Norte County, California. Although several of their children are buried in a family plot in the Blairs-Winkelman Cemetery on the old Adams Ranch, John and Florence are in the Placerville Union Cemetery. He and Florence had several children, all born in Placerville, who are listed below.

      • Florence (Flossie) Eloise Hassler (1888-1958) was born on Oct. 30 1888 in Placerville; and married John Crumley in 1911. She died on June 5, 1958 in Placerville, and is buried in the Blairs-Winkleman Cemetery on the old Adams Ranch.

      • John Earl Hassler (1891-1951) was born on July 4, 1891 in Placerville; and married Gladys Birmingham in 1922. He died on Aug. 17, 1951 in Placerville and is buried in the Placerville Union Cemetery.

      • Frank Millard Hassler (1894-1949) was born on April 16, 1894 in Placerville; and was in the 104th Aero Squadron in WWI. He moved to Sacramento, California after he married Maude Marsh on June 4, 1921. He died on Aug. 7, 1949 in Sacramento County, and is buried in the Placerville Union Cemetery.

      • Alma Hassler (1894-1979) was born on Oct. 2, 1894 in Placerville; and married Howell Murphy on July 4, 1921 in El Dorado County. Howell farmed around Medford, Oregon, and there developed the "El Dorado" variety of pear, which competes with the better-known "Bartlett" variety. Alma died in Feb. 1979 in Simi Valley, California. Both are buried in the Blairs-Winkelman Cemetery on the old Adams Ranch. Alma and Howell had one daughter, Marilyn Louise Murphy who was born on Oct. 5, 1931 in Sacramento County.

      • Joseph Russel Hassler (1901-1984) was born on Nov. 28, 1901 in Placerville; and married Jane. He died on June 17, 1984 in Placerville, and is buried in the Blairs-Winkelman Cemetery on the old Adams Ranch.

      • Susan Claire Hassler (1903-1993) was born on May 17, 1903 in Placerville; and married Milo Freeman Carr (b. 1895) on May 16, 1926 in El Dorado County. She died on Aug. 18, 1957 in Placerville, and is buried in the Blairs-Winkelman Cemetery on the old Adams Ranch.

      • Juanita (Nita) Evelyn Hassler was born on Feb. 6, 1906 in Placerville; and married August (Gus) Carrel Winkelman on May 16, 1926 in El Dorado County. Gus and Nita lived on the Hassler Ranch in Placerville, and Gus for many years ran a sawmill on the adjacent Adams ranch, which he and Nita probably inherited from her family. Nita died on July 30, 1993 on the Hassler ranch. She was literally the last of her generation, all her siblings and cousins having passed on before her. Gus and Nita are buried in the Hassler Family Plot in the Blairs-Winkelman Cemetery on the old Adams ranch. She and Gus had two children - Richard Earle Winkelman, who was born on June 27, 1931 in Sacramento County and still owns parts of both the Hassler and Adams ranches, and Juanita May Winkelman, who was born on June 1, 1935 in Sacramento County and married James D. Ward.

      • Bernard G. Hassler (1908-1971) was born Dec. 20, 1908 in Placerville; and married Nadine K. Anderson (1914-2007). He died on July 19, 1971 in Sacramento County, and is buried with Nadine in the Blairs-Winkleman Cemetery on the old Adams Ranch.

       

    • Antone Haessler (1856-1928) was christened March 4, 1856 in Donaueschingen, Baden and changed his name to Anton "Tony" Hassler when he immigrated in 1868 to the United States. He went to work as a teenager for the California Door Company (Caldor) in 1873 at their factory in Diamond Springs, and remained with the firm the rest of his life. He married an Irish girl named Theresa McGowan (b. c.1864) in San Francisco on Dec. 10, 1883, and probably moved to the Caldor headquarters in Oakland around that time. When Caldor built a new lumber mill in 1902, at a site southwest of Placerville that became the town of Caldor, Anton moved there as the new mill superintendant. Later, the company built a 34-mile rail line manned by Shay locomotives to haul lumber from the Caldor mill to the Diamond Springs plant, and Anton eventually became superintendant of the Diamond and Caldor Railroad, a subsidiary of California Door. He lived most of his life in Oakland, and he was undoubtedly part of the reason his sister Mary moved to the Alameda district of Oakland around 1900 (brother Joseph lived in Oakland also). Anton died on January 12, 1928 in Alameda, and Theresa died there May 19, 1932. Both are buried in the St. Marys Catholic Cemetery in Oakland. Their children are listed below.

      • Mary C. Hassler (1884-1904) was born on Dec. 2, 1884; and died without issue on March 1, 1904 in Oakland. She is buried in St. Marys Cemetery.

      • John Francis Hassler (1886-1954) was born on Oct. 14, 1886; and married Marjorie Elizabeth Lewis on Jan. 14, 1914 in Oakland, Calif. He served as City Manager of Oakland from 1933-1954, except for a stint in the military from 1943-1946. He died on Aug. 19, 1954 in Alameda, and is buried with his wife in St. Marys Cemetery in Oakland. They have descendants.

      • Anton Joseph Hassler (1889-1973) was born on March 21, 1889 in San Rafael, California; and married Antoinette Zavaterro (1899-1999) on April 4, 1921 in Alameda County. He died on Oct. 29, 1973 in Emeryville, Alameda County, Calif. He and Antoinette have descendants.

      • A stillborn infant (1890-1890), who was born May 6, 1890, and is buried in St. Marys Cemetery.

      • Thomas Vincent Hassler (1893-1930) was born on Feb. 28, 1893; and died on Nov. 29, 1930 in Alameda. He is buried in St. Marys Cemetery with other members of his family.

       

    • Mary Agatha Haessler (1857-1933) who follows:

    • Josef "Uncle Joe" Haessler (1864-1948) was born June 1, 1864, and christened June 5 in Donaueschingen, Baden. His parents changed his name to Joseph Hassler when he immigrated with them in 1868 to Placerville, where he grew up. He was living in Oakland in 1888 as a candy maker, but he was back in Placerville in 1896, when he bought a candy business there and renamed it Hassler's Candy Kitchen. Then he was back in Oakland by the U.S. Census of 1900, which shows him living as a boarder with Dora Lucinda Shead at 1519 Webster Street and working for her in a grocery store with Mrs. Shead's sister-in-law Anna. Joseph and the Shead's probably lived in quarters on the second floor of the store. Next, the U.S. Census of 1910 shows him living around the corner with his sister Mary at 714-A Railroad (later Lincoln Street), which was one of the larger streets in town with a trolley car that ran up the center of the street. He and Mary at the time ran a grocery store that Mary owned on Webster Street - most likely, the same store that Joseph had worked at in 1900, which would indicate that Mary had probably bought the store from Lucinda Shead. Joseph was still living with Mary during the 1920 census, but the 1930 census shows him living at 716 Lincoln Street with a number of boarders, right next door to Mary.

      Uncle Joe had many interests, and in addition to being a candy maker, he was also a professional photographer, and an auto agent. He also helped with his sister's grocery store. He is particularly remembered for having a motor car back in the days when they were first becoming available and were still considered a novelty. However, having a car and showing it off would have been part of his job as an auto agent. Records of the California Motor Vehicle Department in 1907 and 1910 list Joseph Hassler of 714 Railroad St. as the owner of a motor car, and indicate that he may have also worked as a chauffer. His photography shop and the office for his auto business was in the back of his Lincoln Street house. Uncle Joe was also a personal friend of the naturalist John Muir, and a photo exists that he took of Muir. Uncle Joe never married, nor had children. He died on January 28, 1948 in Alameda, and is interred at the Chapel of the Chimes Mausoleum, in the same annex as his sister Mary and his nephew Kenneth Toombs.

     

  4. Maria Agatha Haessler (1857-1933), who was the daughter of Josef Haessler and Maria Anna Fink, was born Nov. 12, 1857 in Donaueschingen, Baden and christened there Nov. 19. She changed her name to Mary Hassler when she immigrated in 1868 with her family to the United States. She married a miner in Placerville, California in 1879 named William Louis Toombs, whose father William "Honest Billy" Toombs had come to California during the Gold Rush of 1849 and settled at White Rock Canyon in Placerville. Interestingly, Mary was counted twice in the U.S. Census of 1880, once with William at his Placerville house, and again at her mother's place in Diamond Springs. She raised a family with William at the Toomb's ranch for several years. However, she eventually desired a better place to raise her family, and left him about 1902 to move their children to Alameda, on the bay side of Oakland.

    Mary Agatha and the children by 1903 were living in Alameda at 846 Railroad Street, which was so named because the trolley car ran down it, but the street was renamed in 1907 to Lincoln. Mary Agatha also ran a fruit and produce market from the same address, the family living either upstairs or in the back, but by 1905 they were living a few doors down from the store at 714 Railroad (Lincoln) Street. Later, we find Mary Agatha with her unmarried younger brother Joseph running a grocery store on Webster Street that she probably bought about 1908 from Dora Lucinda Shead. Interestingly, Joseph had previously boarded with Mrs. Shead and worked as a clerk in her store. Then during the hard times of the 1920s, Mary Agatha also ran a boarding house out of her Lincoln Street home to bring in extra income.

    Mary originally moved to Alameda, because her brothers Joseph and Anton both lived there, Anton having moved to the Oakland/Alameda area many years prior as a superintendant with the California Door Company (Caldor). Mary's husband William remained in Placerville and continued to eke out a living panning the same gold streams that his father had worked since the Gold Rush of 1849. Mary had a one-quarter share in some of William's mining operations, but it is unlikely that she realized much income, if any, from these ventures. Mary died in Oakland on July 31, 1933, and is interred at the Chapel of the Chimes Mausoleum in Oakland in the same annex as her bother Joe and grandson Kenneth Toombs. William died in Placerville on May 2, 1938 and is buried there in the Union Cemetery. For the children of Mary and William, please see the Toombs Genealogy.


  5.  
    William L. Toombs and Mary Agatha Hassler

 


 

The Descendants of Gallus Fink

 

Gallus Finck (1774-1838), the son of Petrus Finck (1721-1806) and Agatha Gleichauff (1745-1796), was christened, and probably born as well, on October 15, 1774 in the town of Fützen in the Waldshut district of Baden, Germany. Fützen is located only 2 km from the German-Swiss border and about 20 km south of the town of Donaueschingen, where the Finck family lived. Gallus married Elisabeth Wagner (1795-1870?), who was several years his junior, on June 2, 1817 in Fützen. There is an online genealogy, written in German by a German descendant, that gives his death date as Jan. 30, 1838. The same genealogy gives the birth date of his wife Elisabeth Wagner as May 6, 1795 in Hondingen, Germany, but we do not have confirmations for these dates.

We do have documentation that Elisabeth married her second husband Josef Mueller on Nov. 5, 1840 in the Fützen Catholic Church. Josef was several years younger than Elisabeth, having been born on Oct. 16, 1817 in Wildtal, Baden, Germany and baptized there the next day to parents Mathias Mueller and Maria Eva Gehri. He and Elisabeth subsequently emigrated in 1848 to the United States with Elisabeth's two youngest sons - Joannes (John) Fink and Gallus (Charles) Fink - and crossed the plains in an ox-drawn wagon with a wagon train in 1849 to arrive in Placerville at the start of the Gold Rush. We then find the four of them during the State Census of 1852 living in the settlement of Newtown, to the southeast of Placerville in the Diamond Springs Township of El Dorado County. Elisabeth's daughters Sophia and Paulina and their husbands soon joined them, and a third daughter Maria joined them as well after the 1866 death of her husband in Germany.

Elisabeth's husband Josef, changed his name to Joseph Miller and became a citizen on May 11, 1859 at the Placerville District court. He then became postmaster of Newtown on Dec. 7, 1864, a position that he held for almost eleven years. The U.S. Census shows that on August 16, 1870 Elizabeth was still alive and living with Joseph in Newtown. The online German genealogy that we mentioned earlier lists gives 1870 as her death date, and California as where she died, but provides no evidence. It is likely that she buried in the Pleasant Valley Cemetery, which is only two miles from Newtown and is the final resting place of two of her children. However, if she is there, there is no record of it that we have found, and her grave is no longer marked by a tombstone.

Joseph Miller continued to reside in Newtown at least until Sept. 23, 1875 when he stepped down as postmaster. The last mention we have of him is in the voter registration records (Great Register) for El Dorado County, which show him residing in 1882 at Sportsman's Hall (Twelve-mile House), which is a former settlement to the east of Placerville that is known today as Pollock Pines. We know nothing of his death or burial.

Elisabeth Wagner with her first husband Gallus Finck had the children listed below, all of whom were baptized in Fützen in the Catholic Church, which contains records of the Finck family dating back to Johann Finck (b. c.1680) and Katharina Gleichauf (b. c.1680), who are the grandparents of Gallus Finck. A biography of Charles Fink, son of Gallus and Elisabeth, states that when Elisabeth crossed the plains in 1849 with Josef Miller, she brought three daughters with her. However, the documentation we have seen seems to indicate that these daughters were not in the wagon train of 1849, but came later - Paulina in 1850, Sophia in 1856 and Maria in 1868.

  • M. Catharina Fink (b. 1819) was christened on June 1, 1819 in Fützen, Germany. As nothing further is known of her, she may have died young or unmarried.

  • Josephus Antonius Fink (1820-1896) was christened on July 13, 1820 in Fützen, Germany; and married Maria Agatha Meister (1830-1899) on February 27 1851 in Fützen. He died on Sept. 11, 1896 in Germany, where his descendants, the Röthenbacher family, live today. His wife Maria, who had been born on Sept. 1, 1830, died on Aug. 15, 1899 in Germany.

  • Maria Anna Fink (1822-1886) was born and christened on April 28, 1822 in Fützen, Germany; and married Joseph Haessler (b. 1823) on October 18, 1853 in the Donaueschingen Catholic Church. More information on her is given above under the above subheading for "Mary Hassler (1822-1886)".

  • Sophia Fink (1824-1893) was born and christened on April 9, 1824 in Fützen, Germany; and married Johann Maier/John Meyer (1818-1871) on Nov. 5, 1846 in Fützen. Sophia and John came with their four children in 1856 to the United States, made their way to California by way of Connecticut, and joined Sophia's mother and two brothers in Pleasant Valley, El Dorado County, where they had more children and lived out the remainder of their lives. John died on Aug. 29, 1871 and Sophia on Oct. 15, 1893 in Pleasant Valley. Both are buried in the Pleasant Valley Cemetery along with other members of the Fink family.

  • Paulina Fink (1827-1882) was christened on June 23, 1827 in Fützen, Germany, and at some point left Germany and came to the United States, where she married a German-Jewish emigrant named Samuel Sussman Snow (1818-1892). Paulina's husband had been born on March 18, 1818 in Germany; and left home when his widowed father married a woman that the younger Snow did not like. He ended up by 1837 in New York City, where he obtained a medical degree, and married Paulina, a catholic girl who, like Snow, had been born in Germany. He and Paulina around 1842 settled in St. Croix County, Wisconsin, where Samuel for the next few years is said to have both practised medicine and traded furs with the Indians, and where on July 30, 1849 he received his papers to become a U.S. Citizen. He and Paulina then tried living on a ranch in Council Bluffs, Iowa, but Paulina, who was preganant now, disliked the cold winters, and so they set out in the spring of 1850 for California with Samuel leading a wagon train that he helped organize. Their son Emmanuel was born in May in one of the wagons while still in Council Bluffs, and they arrived in California a few months later in August.

    Samuel then left the family in Sacramento and continued on to Dogtown, near Placerville, where he sold supplies to the miners out of a store that a Mr. Smith had set up in a tent. Samuel made enough money in just a few months to buy some property in Iowaville, on the outskirts of Dogtown. Here Paulina joined him, and they raised a large family, worked a nearby gold mine, and built a hotel with a store, a bowling alley, and an office in the back for Samuel's medical practice. Samuel and his sons later built a road between Camino and Pleasant Valley that is now known as Snow's Road. Paulina died on Mar. 12, 1882 in Newtown (near Placerville), and Samuel died there on July 9, 1892. Both are buried in the Placerville Jewish Cemetery.

  • Elisabeth Fink (b. 1829) was christened on March 31, 1829 in Fützen, Germany. As nothing further is known of her, she may have died young or unmarried.

  • John Betz Fink (1832-1902) was born and christened as Joannes Baptista Fink on July 10, 1832 in Fützen, Germany, but americanized his name to John Betz Fink many years later in the United States. He and his brother Charles came in 1848 by wagon train with their mother and stepfather to Placerville, according to the immigration date the brothers gave in the 1900 U.S. Census. There he and his brother Charles then ran a butcher shop for several years. Several years later, John married an Irish girl named Julia Simson (1844-1913) on Nov. 14, 1863 in El Dorado County. Although both the bride and groom listed the Diamond Springs township as their home, they later lived in nearby Pleasant Valley, where they had at least one son and two daughters. Records of the O'Keefe Mortuary in Placerville confirm that John died on Sept. 16, 1902, some 12 years before Julia, and is buried with her in the Pleasant Valley Cemetery above Placerville. Julia, who is buried in the same cemetery, was born on Oct. 16, 1844 in Ireland, and died on March 10, 1913 in Pleasant Valley. There is an obituary for Julia Fink that confirms her death date, and the year that John died.

  • Charles Fink (1835-1907) was born and christened as Gallus Fink on June 11, 1835 in Fützen, Germany. He and his brother John came by wagon train with their mother and stepfather to Placerville in 1848, and together ran a butcher shop for several years. Charles married Sarah Ellen Holmes (1848-1907) of Missouri around 1868 in Sacramento, possibly just after he had made a trip back to his hometown in Baden, Germany. Although the U.S. Census of 1870 shows him and Sarah living next door to Charles' sisters Mary Hassler Fink and Paulina Hassler Snow in Diamond Springs, they soon moved to San Luis Obispo County where all of their children are believed to have been born. They ran a hotel and restaurant in San Luis Obisbo until about 1876 when they bought land in Arroyo Grande and moved there. Charles died at the age of 71 on May 2, 1907 in Arroyo Grande, and he is buried with Sarah in the Arroyo Grande Cemetery. A biography of Charles Fink that was published in 1917 that has much information on him and his family.

 


REFERENCES:

  • Donaueschingen and Fützen Catholic Church Records - Kirchenbuch, 1594-1893, Katholische Kirche Donaueschingen (A. Donaueschingen), Film Number 0890574 - LDS Church Genealogy Resources located online at Familysearch.org

  • Birth, Death and Marriage Indexes for California (available online at Ancestry.com, and Familysearch.org).

  • Carty, Robert James, Family Memories from many interviews and remembrances over the years.

  • Dover, Terri (2014), Family Group Sheet for Elisabeth Mary Wagner at Ancestry.com. Retrieved Feb. 21, 2014.

  • El Dorado County Museum Archives

  • Grave and burial locations where known are listed with tombstone photos (when available) on  

  • Newspaper Articles for the Toombs & Hassler Families from Placerville, California

  • Röthenbacher Familienstammbaum (2014), Family Group Sheet for Gallus Fink at Ancestry.com. Maintained under screen name "ulligalli". Retrieved Feb. 21, 2014.

  • Tombstone Transcriptions for the Toombs & Hassler Families from Placerville, California. Also, many tombstone photos are availble at

  • U.S. Census Records, 1860-1930 (available online at Ancestry.com).

  • U.S. Social Security Records (available online at Ancestry.com).

 

 

 

by Janet & Michael Clark

This history is an evolving document.
Despite our best intentions it probably contains mistakes.
Please let us know if you spot any by sending an email to Mike Clark

 

 



Copyright © 1998-2017 - Bella Vista Ranch